My grandmother was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis a few years ago and has been able to manage many of her symptoms with diet changes. It’s been a difficult journey, but eliminating gluten has made a world of difference in her life. She’s managing her Hashimoto’s, she has stopped getting frequent sinus infections, and she is sleeping better at night! This past weekend we celebrated her 80th birthday and decided to do a completely gluten free menu for her party! We ordered Lebanese food from one of our favorite restaurants and then made a few extra things to complement the meal- including this roasted cauliflower dish that was the hit of the party! This recipe calls for two heads of cauliflower which might sound like a lot of cauliflower for one family recipe, but trust me this stuff is addictive and you’re going to want more! This is a recipe that is great straight out of the oven or served room temperature on a party buffet.
Let’s talk nutrition because this recipe is a real winner! Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable that is a great source of fiber and vitamins C, E, K, and folate. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory, cumin is good for digestion and your immune system, and fresh herbs are full of phytonutrients.
- 2 heads of cauliflower, broken into florets
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- 1t ground turmeric
- 1t ground cumin
- ¼ t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ t sea salt
- ½ c dry roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- ¼ c golden raisins
- Small handful of mint, roughly chopped
- Small handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 425. Break cauliflower into small florets and spread onto a sheet pan, depending on the size of your cauliflower you might need two pans to make sure they’re spread in a single layer and not too crowded on the pan.
- Combine oil, turmeric, cumin, red pepper flakes, and salt. The red pepper flakes add a small amount of spice, but feel free to adjust to your taste! Pour oil mixture over cauliflower and mix on the sheet pan to evenly coat the cauliflower.
- Roast for 1 hour, lightly toss the cauliflower with a spatula about every 20 minutes for even roasting (you want those brown, crispy bits).
- Remove from the oven and toss with pistachios, golden raisins, and chopped herbs. Enjoy!